Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mackayla Grace

She's here! Born at 9:46 am, Saturday, May 23, 2009, Mackayla weighed in at 7 pounds, 4 ounces, and was 20 inches long. We are all doing great, and hope to see you all soon!

Friday night I had a lot of contractions, but they weren't too regular, although they did get pretty intense. After working Friday afternoon and going out to dinner, we went home and got some rest. The contractions stopped, and I went to bed around 3am (which is not unusual for me lately!). I woke up at 7:30am having more contractions, but I just timed them while I was getting ready for work. By 8am, they were every 3 minutes! I woke Jon and Mackenzie, he threw her into the tub for a quick shower while I finished getting ready. We left the house at 8:40. By this time, the contractions were every two minutes, and so intense. I am a wussy anyway, so I was starting to get worried that we wouldn't make it to the hospital in time for an epidural. About a mile away from Kennestone, we were on Polk Street, and I almost had a heart attack--the street was closed down for Marietta High's graduation!!! The same thing happened when I was in labor with Mackenzie--there was an apartment fire and we had to take a 3 mile detour. Luckily, the policeman blocking Polk Street was very understanding after having a pregnant woman yell out the window that she was in labor, and he let us go through! After running several red lights, one near accident (actually not Jon's fault, the guy made a crazy lane change), and 25 minutes later, we pulled into Kennestone. Jon's grandmother, Joyce, was already here and waiting, so she and Mackenzie went on to the playroom, and Jon and I headed upstairs. A few contractions later, they checked me, and I was 7 cm dilated! They started my IV, and took me to a room. By this time, I was so ready for my epidural. They checked me again, and lo and behold, they said I could start to push. Whoa, what about my epi? Guess what? No time! My very next contraction, which was about 1 minute later (and lots of me being in denial and freaking out), Dr. K told me to push, and out came Mackayla's head. One more immediate push, and out came her body. Her cord was wrapped around her neck 4 times, and had a knot in it. I heard that, and started to get worried, but she immediately started crying, and they said she was ok. They put her on my chest, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was so not prepared to have Mackayla sans epidural, and it hurt like nothing else I've ever done. Now that it's over, I'm glad I can say that I did it (even though it felt like I was being pulled in 5 different directions).


Mackenzie came to meet Mackayla about 30 minutes later, after we were both all cleaned up. She came in to the room, and I asked her who she wanted to see first, me or Mackayla. She picked Mackayla, and went right over to her. She absolutely loves watching her, and seeing her hands, feet, and commenting on the fact that she doesn't have teeth yet. The only thing that weirds Mackenzie out is that she doesn't like the crying! She took a few walks with Grandma Joyce, and then came back to our room just in time to introduce my parents to Mackayla. After that, she seemed to not be as anxious.


We've had a few visitors already, and as I type this, I realize I probably should be taking a nap. Jon and Mackayla are both asleep, and I'm sure I'll be needed soon. Mackenzie is very well taken care of--she's napping at Grandma's Joyce's house now, then she'll be spending the night with my parents, and tomorrow with Jon's parents who are on their way from Charlotte now. I will add more pictures next time!

5 comments:

Summer Pendley said...

Oh my gosh! What a story! It seems that you and I have similar labor experiences, except, thankfully, I was able to get epidurals both times. I truly commend you for being a super woman and delivering naturally..I can't imagine!

You guys look great! Can't wait to see more pics!!!!

Chad and Kristin Pendley said...

Wow! You are a tough woman! I don't think I could do it w/out the epidural...but then again I'll be having another C-section! Ha, ha! The part about you yelling to the officer cracked me up! Thank goodness he let you thru! Can't wait to see more pics. Congratulations!!

Sara J said...

Congratulations!!! We just got back in town from visiting my mom in Huntsville. I was just telling her Saturday night that you were due any minute and by then she was already born! Let me know when things settle down a little bit so I can come see your new little bundle of joy!!!

The Clinger Family said...

She is beautiful!! Congratulations!! Let me know when things settle down, we would love to come and visit you!!!

Angel said...

Congratulations! I was wondering if she had arrived yet! I can't believe your story - that is crazy! What a great story to tell and retell the rest of her life! I hope that I'll get to meet her when we come back for a visit in August! Angel